Sunday, May 10, 2015

Your Shoes My Shoes By Barbara Bloom (Book Review)


Your Shoes My Shoes By Barbara Bloom is written with the 1 - 6 year old in mind.  

As described, this book is meant to emphasize rhyming to make the book enjoyable for children. The book accomplishes this well on some pages.  Other pages are comprised of random statements, albeit on topic, the book lost flow from page to page.  It mirrors and feels "vaguely" reminiscent of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss.  I think that is what Bloom was going for in her childrens' book.  




What really threw me off when reading this book is how the style of the illustrations change on every page.  Your Shoes My Shoes would be illustrated on one page with clip art and then a Japanese Anime character on the next.  The lack of illustrative congruency really lost me. 

This is still an okay book for teaching children colors and helping them better understand patterns in rhyme and alliteration.  For a kid this book can be fun.  If an adult has to read this to them it may be challenging for the adult.




No comments:

Post a Comment