Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Journey Of The First Book

My first book was derived from my entrepreneurial spirit.  There are a couple things that I can't stop doing.  One is learning and the second is experimenting with start up businesses.  Try as I might not to get into another business, that is just who I am.
    
I have had a semi-successful bookstore on Amazon.com and eBay.com in the past.  There is just something about information, dreams, direction, etc. that is tangible that is a treasure to hold as a book in your hands.  Through several past sales jobs I discovered those that were bilingual had a real edge.  Behold a goldmine in sales - neglected markets
   
I grew up with a Spanish speaking mom (she is from Cuba) and an English speaking dad.  I was never really taught Spanish aside from the common "hola", or "gracias".  There were a few words that I was taught in Spanish that just are not appropriate here.    
   
Trying to gain an edge in the market place of insurance/ advertising/ IT sales I decided to start learning Spanish like a child.  I stopped by my local library in Rochester New York and found some Dr. Seuss books that I was familiar with.  The catch was that these books were written in Spanish. Books such as Green Eggs and Ham or Huevos Verde con Jamon.  
   
If you have not tried this approach to learning a new language - you should.  My wife and I were rolling laughing so hard as Sam I Am becomes Juan Ramon.  No mi gusta nada Juan Ramon.... Learning Spanish and laughing in the process does wonders for making learning wonderfully passive.

I continue to study and learn Spanish through familiar song and stories as well as more formal processes.  I have a nine month old beautiful girl. She adds a new layer of enjoyment to the learning process.  I am also fortunate to be able to continue to test my learning on Mima (my grandma) and my mom or any body that speaks Spanish that is in arms reach.
    
So, the first book came off a hunch.  I knew that I could self publish but needed to understand the process better.  I'm not a wade in the water and get your feet wet but more like a polar plunge kind of guy.... Just jump in and learn fast!  So I did some research, watched some YouTube videos and did lots and lots of reading on how to publish.  
   
I wrote my first book a few days later A Kids' First Steps In Learning Spanish "Colors".  It is a simple concept and layout.  It's more of a flashcard book that takes you through colors, pronunciations,  and a description of the fruit.  This format reinforces Spanish grammar and the building of a Spanish vocabulary.   Visual association is vastly important for learning and retention.  




This book has received Five Star Reviews at the point of this writing.  Please take a look have fun and please leave your feedback in an amazon review.  Enjoy!  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment