Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Fish of The Sea / Peces Del Mar (A Spanish English Reader)

Fish of The Sea /Peces Del Mar by Steven Lioy (myself) is a Spanish / English beginning reader book.  It is full of interesting pictures of sea life.  The short descriptive phrases will help a child learn to read their native language in addition to the corresponding Spanish / English.



I wrote this book as a tool to help children and students learn language.  Having grown up in a semi-bilingual home, where my mom was fluent in Spanish, we communicated in English. In a quest to learn Spanish, to learn it quickly and enjoyably, I turned to kids’ books.

This method seems unconventional; it works well.  I started reading books such as Go Dog GoAre You My Mother?One Fish Two Fish, and the list goes on.  I was familiar with the story lines already.  Through repeated readings of these books I started to assemble phrases on my own, naturally and without rote memorization.  

That is the goal in the First Steps Series; to help a child learn words in the form of sentences and phrases.  This is how children learn.  We all learned a word and pointed to an object to ask for it.  In fish of the sea you become familiar with pez (fish) and naturally you can build understanding from there.



No comments:

Post a Comment